Saturday, April 13, 2013

Managing Your Arthritis - Carrying Items

I am a shopaholic and I won't try to hide it. Whether it’s holiday time or simply out for a little ‘Retail Therapy’ I enjoy heading out to purchase new items.

However, after being diagnosed with arthritis, I noticed that shopping became more difficult for me solely because of carrying bags or packages. Whether I’m at the mall for a clothing shopping trip or even at the grocery store, I struggle when I have to carry multiple items.

The book, Tips for Good Living with Arthritis by The Arthritis Foundation gives a great list of tips and tricks to help carrying items easier on individuals with arthritis. Here are a few of the ones that I thought were really great:
·         Try not to carry too many items with you as you walk.
  •         Limit what you’re carrying to only necessities when you know you’ll be out walking and carrying things.
  • ·         If you’re carrying a bundle, hold it in your arms with your arms wrapped around it and use bend your    knees to lower the bundle into your car or trunk.
  • ·         When carrying a purse, don’t grab it by the handle and let it hang from your fingers. A bag with a   shoulder strap is a better fit for individuals with arthritis rather than a clutch or short-handled style.
  • ·         If you are out shopping for a large quantity, take someone with you who can help carry the items and always remember that you can take items to your car, take a break and go back in to finish shopping

    Here is a funny photo of the back of my car after a little shopping trip with two of my best friends :)

No comments:

Post a Comment