Monday, April 1, 2013

"Can I Make You Feel Better with a Bag of Peas?" Arthritis From a Spouse's Point of View

Tonight, I asked my husband what his first thoughts were when he found out I had arthritis.

His response: "I wondered if you were going to be able to walk when you're 80."

Spouses of individuals with arthritis see the pain their loved ones go through first-hand. I know I have kept mine up during the night on many occasions because of severe pain. It took awhile for him to understand what I was going through, but he has really come a long way. 

"When you hurt like that, I just want to know how to help or how I can make you feel better," he said. "Usually it means I'll get up to go get a bag of peas."

I'm sure this is how most spouses and family members feel when they have a loved one with arthritis. (Especially parents and kids...but that's for a whole different blog entry)

So, today I decided to list a few things that help my Hubby and I when I am in pain. Maybe it will help you, too!

  1. Communicate! I start telling LW when my joints are sore early - this way, he knows.
  2. Once I let him know that my joints hurt, I make sure I decrease my activity with the specific joint that is hurting.He handles anything that requires a lot of movement if I can't.
  3. Easing my pain - Ice is the best method for my aching joints, so I make sure I have it handy. If LW knows I am in pain, he gets up and gets it for me which always helps make me feel better.
  4. Support. The most important part of a flare is knowing your loved ones are there. Usually, there isn't much they can do, but just knowing they are there and willing to help means the world to someone when they are in pain. :)

Kudos to all of our loved ones for being the support we need to get through the pain! 
MW Studios

No comments:

Post a Comment