Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Passion Behind My Platform

I leave for Mrs. International so soon! I have dedicated time to my blog to not only talk about my platform, The Arthritis Foundation, but I've also shared posts to take you along my journey as Mrs. West Virginia International, too.

Tonight, I wanted to share a special post to talk about the "WHY" of my platform. I have met so many incredible people along this journey and I've had so many conversations about how simply sharing stories of arthritis have helped them understand that they aren't alone.  

So, here we go:

First and foremost, I am passionate about my platform because I live it daily. The Arthritis Foundation's Vision to live in a world free of arthritis pain hits home in my life because I was diagnosed when I was 22 years old...but, it wasn't easy.

I went to five different doctors in West Virginia before I ended up at the University of Pittsburgh all while I was still an active college student at WVU and while I was still running track on the WVU Women's Track Team. 

I thank God so many times, over and over, for having a strong family who loves me and didn't take 'no' for an answer. My mom ended up being the one to make the call that landed me in the doctor's office in Pittsburgh where I was diagnosed.


While arthritis in my own life has taken the lead role for my involvement, it doesn't stop there. When I started my career in Charleston, WV, I learned that we didn't have the Arthritis Foundation in our state. 

How odd, I thought. Because I knew that knowing someone with arthritis, having a support system, sharing stories, reading articles or simply having some inspirational words would have really been a benefit when I was diagnosed.

So, I talked to the National Arthritis Foundation and served as a key player in bringing this amazing organization to my state. I have eaten, slept and breathed arthritis as an active member of the Advisory Board, a fundraiser and a volunteer.

West Virginia is the Number 1 state with arthritis. This is not something we want to be Number 1 in. (Along with obesity, by the way).

Anyone can get arthritis. It doesn't discriminate. And I think that's an important message. Whether it's a child, a young adult or a senior citizen, it drastically decreases the quality of one's life and it isn't acceptable.

I have spent my time as Mrs. West Virginia heavily promoting The Arthritis Foundation because this title gives me such an incredible VOICE. But, it didn't start there. The passion has been in my platform and in my world for many years, I'm just so thankful to be Mrs. West Virginia International where I can share my story and this great organization to people all over the world.

A special shout out to those involved with this organization. Those who have supported our efforts, those who take a part in our efforts and those who choose to wish for a world without arthritis pain, too. 

I hope my passion inspires other to get involved, to live a healthy lifestyle and to always remember that we are in control of our lives. Arthritis is a part of my life...it doesn't control my life and I LOVE sharing my message. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment